1. Location. Without a doubt, the location is the most important aspect. As you know sitting in front of a bookshelf will make you appear intelligent, so take the time to select the right books to have on the shelves that will appear behind you. It doesn’t matter if you have actually read them or not. Alternatively, you may wish to use a plain background, in which case you should position yourself in front of an interior door for that plain-background-that-is-actually-the-bedroom-door appeal.
2. Lighting. There is no need to use proper lighting, the 11watt economy bulb that pretends to be the equivalent of an old style 100watt bulb will do just fine.
3. Microphone. The mic that is inbuilt into your video camera will do just fine.
4. A tripod is entirely optional, you might want simply to borrow a family member with a steady hand to hold the camera for you.
5. Remember to tell your story. Absolutely everyone wants to hear “how you got into” NLP, ABC, EFT or whatever it is. Everyone will be riveted to hear how you have always had an interest in people, words and so on and how you are so happy to have this gift of being the special one.
6. Script/content. Forget decent content because there is no need to offer your viewer anything that is actually useful, after all, you don’t want to give away the shop. Instead, simply state your name, location and preferred alphabet therapy that you practice. Then use a generic, “…and so if you have problems with <insert short list of conditions> then please contact me on my website.” Use the simple logic that looks like, “because I am a hypnotherapist and you are a depressive, then you should call me for an appointment.” Yes, that’ll work.
7. Where to put the video. Simply upload it to youtube, because this is the type of video that Youtube fans just love to watch. Badly embedding the video code onto your web-template web page will, of course, drive a torrent of traffic from eager customers to your video.
Once you have this video uploaded, your colleagues will recognise you as one of their own and you will fit right in. The only thing left to do will be to start posting onto public internet forums asking for advice from other experts as to what techniques you should use with your next client.
Or…do something different. Here’s Topher Morrison. I don’t know him nor his work, but this is a great promo video.
Please give other examples, good and bad, below.